Learning the Hard Way that Coming Off Antidepressants for Absolutely No Reason is a Bad Idea

by - 14:41


Okay - I admit it - I'm an idiot.  Hardly news, and yeah I know I'm not literally an idiot - I was an A grade student through most of school and now I study at one of the top... idk 25? 30? universities in the world - so yeah, I know, I know. I'm not an idiot.  But... I am, I am an idiot.

I stopped taking my antidepressants, without consulting a doctor and without tapering off slowly.  Going cold turkey on the Citalopram.  Why? Why would ANYONE do that?

Well, I didn't stop taking them because I thought I didn't need them anymore - although I will admit, that I'd been feeling so much better since being on them that I had thought perhaps I would be okay without (spoiler alert, I was wrong).  

I just stopped taking them because I ran out and didn't prioritise going to the doctor to get a new prescription.

It's almost laughable how much of a typically 'me' thing that is to do, like I was just a bit too lazy to go to the doctor and get more medication... medication that I need... so I can function like an almost normal human... and get out of bed in the morning... and eat... and shower... but that's fine, like who really needs to do those things anyway?

The first week was fine, in fact, I felt really good and I was really productive and I saw a lot of friends and it was great.  The fact that it was fine further fuelled my belief that I am overdramatic and never needed medication in the first place (this was not correct, I am delusional) and so I further delayed making a doctor's appointment.  

Then, all of a sudden, it was like depression city all over again and I was miserable and I didn't want to do anything apart from lie around in bed and sleep and cry.  I didn't want to go anywhere, I was crying about 'nothing', I didn't want to eat and despite the fact that I did not want to leave my bed, I wasn't sleeping until the early hours of the morning.

That wasn't the worst thing though, lying in bed and crying and stuff that's chill, I know where I am with that.  I mean it's awful, it's not chill at all, it's the last thing I want to be doing, but it's tragically familiar by this point.  The worst thing was the other side effects that came with it... the withdrawal symptoms that I hadn't even known existed and that consequently convinced me that I was probably dying, which incidentally was not great for my anxiety.

Not my best look... WHY must my generation document EVERYTHING?
I was dizzy and feverish, I lost my appetite and worst of all I had this weird symptom which literally made me feel like my face was on vibrate.  I think it's technically defined as "electric shocks" or "zaps" or something, although, I would more accurately describe them as "how I imagine a robot feels when it glitches, if robots had feelings, which I imagine they probably don't".  Anyway, I assumed my brain was melting or something which was pretty distressing.

It's a very difficult sensation to explain, because I really didn't know it was possible to feel that way before it was a thing that was happening to my face and body.  For me, it happened quite frequently, meaning up to ten times an hour and it lasted probably ten days... ish.  I found out after a few Google searches that it was a normal withdrawal symptom and that it wore off (and that I probably wasn't dying of some horrible brain tumour), but regardless it was really unpleasant.  Imagine like... I don't know, like when a bee flies into your ear but that sensation over your whole face and/or body?  Kind of like a shock, but a buzzy, vibrate-y shock... and these were not good vibrations.

Then it got a bit better.  I went to register with a doctor and started taking my medication again, still not sure if I needed it because I really did think I was doing a lot better and then I just stopped being okay again, almost overnight and I remembered exactly why I started taking them.  I'm still not 100% happy about being on them, especially now I know more about the side effects and withdrawal symptoms when I come off them, but I think that's a problem for Future Jamie and Present Jamie kind of needs to stop crying all the time and being scared to leave the house.

So, the last few days haven't been the greatest because antidepressants tend to take a few weeks to work and I'm still waiting on that.  I went to see my doctor on Tuesday and coincidentally I had something in my eye from Monday night... I don't know if I've explained this before, but these days I am pretty bad at dealing with any kind of medical thing in a rational way.  When I get something in my eye, there's a good chance I'm going to convince myself that I'm going blind... so, with that in mind, regardless of the fact that I hadn't wanted to leave my bed, let alone my apartment that morning, I was far more concerned about this whole eye situation than my suicidal thoughts.  Oh yeah, did I mention they'd creeped back in?  I kind of forgot how frequently I had them, but luckily they're very passive at this stage - they kind of flicker into my mind and straight back out again like a "oh did you know you could jump off this building and probably die? just letting you know, okay go back to thinking about boys or whatever it is you do".  I'm hoping they'll just die out again when my meds kick in again.  My doctor says that it's really normal for people with depression stuff, but if they become more active I should probably let someone know.  Well, no, I should definitely tell someone, because that would be an issue...

Anyway, so I went to the doctor, we talked about depression, she did that depression questionnaire thing and I realised I had many more symptoms of depression than I'd realised because they just seem normal by this point and then we discussed my medication.  I'll write about this in more detail at some point, but we're basically considering increasing the dose because even when I'd been taking them for a couple of months I was still experiencing some pretty intense symptoms... and yet somehow I convinced myself I wasn't really depressed.  HAHAHA. I'm a disaster.

THEN she moved on to looking at my eye - the main thing that actually got me to the doctor that day - and said that she couldn't see anything.  She arranged for a nurse to irrigate it and then she put some yellow dye stuff in it so that she could see if the pain was caused by a scratch on my cornea.  Turns out it wasn't scratched and she said that it's probably just irritated because it's likely there was something in it but it's gone now.  I didn't believe her, went home, cancelled on a friend and lay in bed all evening... from about 4pm I was in bed, I didn't eat, I just lay there, trying to watch Netflix and trying to ignore the fact that my eye hurt and was probably going to fall out because logically that is what happens in these situations.

Not dramatic, just scared of everything... especially health stuff, it's a huuuuuuge trigger for me.

Anyway, so the next day it still hurt and I stayed in bed most of the day.  I tried very hard to be active but by this point I was pretty accepting of the fact that I am a little depressed again.  There was no chance of me leaving the house to do anything more than take the bins out and even that took me four hours to work up the courage to do.

I was literally texting a friend all day for support, which literally went something along the lines of "just one step at a time" and "you had a shower?! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU"... because being depressed is quite similar to being an infant and I'm not always fully capable of looking after myself. It's not even patronising anymore, like I'm damn proud that I managed to leave my bed for an hour and take a shower so that I smell less like the bins that it took me all day to take out.

And now it's today... I'm not 100% yet, but that thing left my eyes, so I don't have to worry about it falling out anymore.  I left the house with a list of five things to do and I managed to do two of them.

Yeah, I would've liked to have done all five.  They were pretty minimal tasks.  BUT... two is better than none.  The good news is, I got out of bed today. I left the house.  I put clothes on.  I ate.  I did all the things you probably did before I even woke up this morning afternoon, but some days that's all I can expect from myself and I can accept that because I've been here before and I know that one day it will get better again.

You May Also Like

0 comments